Saturday, October 4, 2008

Turkey Meatballs & Spaghetti

Here's my own recipe I made up:

In a crock-pot, put half of a jar of Prego/Ragu/Dolmio pasta sauce of your choice. I like to use Ragu Light, as it has less sugar in it. Add a 16 oz can (410g) diced tomatoes, and half of a large onion finely diced. I also add some fresh ground salt and pepper, and some garlic herb seasoning.
Cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4 hours.

For the meatballs:
1 pound (1/2 kg) lean ground turkey
1 egg
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
2 tsp garlic herb seasoning

Mix these ingredients together. If the ground turkey is near room temperature, it will actually mix really well with a potato masher! (No messy hands!)
I use a medium-size scoop (from Pampered Chef, thanks Amber!) to scoop out the meatballs, and I get 10 meatballs out of it.
I brown them in a fry-pan on medium heat, with some non-stick spray, and then add them to the crock pot about an hour before serving. At this stage, if the crock pot is not on high, turn it on to high temp.

Boil your favourite type of pasta (I like to use Ronzoni Thin Spaghetti, it is higher in fiber), and serve!

Sometimes, we also add Italian-Style turkey sausages that I've browned in a pan, too.

Weight Watchers: meatballs are 3 pts for 2 meatballs.

No comments: